07 November 2005

The SID's experience.

Sure, if you decide to use a unstable distribution you should expect it to break things every once in a while, but I was getting used to stability in Sid, so when things break I don't get very happy.

For instance, last week I did a "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" to keep my system up-to-date...

When I rebooted the computer, 3 things stopped working...

1) fancontrol:
Fancontrol is the program to reduce the coolers rotation when the cpu is cool enough.
It simply started pointing to the default temp and rotation sensors (the wrong ones), well, I just "pwmconfig" and it is ok again.

2) Lircd:
It seems that the deamon is stoping as soon as I start it, several tests later and I understood that is not the program that is not working but the deamonizing process.
So if I run "lircd" it doesn't work, but if I use "lircd -n" (nodeamon) it works perfectly, I checked the /etc/init.d/lircd and every configuration file I could remember. No hints whatsoever on what is wrong, google doesn´t know either, or I´m asking the wrong questions.

STILL UNSOLVED
I'm running it interactively.

3) SSHd;
Oddly enough, the problem is exacly the same as with lirc, the deamon just runs in interactive mode (nodeamon) [#/usr/sbin/sshd -D]

STILL UNSOLVED
I'm running it interactively.


That's why I upgraded the kernel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home